Re: [MOL] inspiration [02475] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] inspiration

ken naehring wrote:

> Barbara, Torie, Lisa, Marty and John... and everyone else.  I received
> a book for Christmas called Chicken Soup for the Surviving Soul.  As I
> began reading the introduction I knew that I had to share a few
> exerpts.
>
> Intro pg. xix:  "When the idea of this book was born, it was about
> suriving cancer, but as it took shape, we realized that it was really
> a book about life.  In fact, eight million cancer survivors out there
> have discovered things about life that most of the rest of us have not
> yet learned."..........................
> "At least once a day we sit back and say, "We are so lucky". Because
> of this book we are not the same people we were."
>
> into pg. xx:" Our priorities are clearer now.  We share our feelings
> more openly, we take our vitamins and herbs more regularly, we eat
> better, we meditate and do yaga more often, we pray with more
> conviction and we love with more openness.  Our daily disciplines are
> stronger, our co-dependent behaviors are weaker and our desires to
> follow our own inner directives are stronger.  We laugh more often,
> take more time for play, worry less about pleasing others and know
> more clearly than ever that each day is a treasured gift to br lived
> to the fullest."..................
> "We thank all of you who have been challenged by cancer because your
> struggles and insights have deepened our own understandings about
> life, love and spirituality."
>

> I found this uplifting and I hope that you do too.  God Bless you all.
>
> Dear Ken,

Thank you so very much for your kind thoughtfulness.  Yes indeed, once
anyone has looked cancer in the eye...or any "near death experience"...
you can't help but appreciate life.  It makes you focus on the gratitude
you feel for another day and in that gratitude comes all else.  My wife
gave me a book I would recommend to all called "Don't Sweat The Small
Stuff...and it's all small stuff" by Dr. Richard Carlson.  Given my "old"
personality, I doubt it would have had an impact on this stubborn old
guy.  Given my experience with cancer however, I find myself saying ya
alot as I read the book.

Again Ken, thanks for sharing that bit of insitful wisdom.  We can all
continue to learn from each other as we support one another along the
way.  God Bless.

John