[MOL] Stomach cancer [02461] Medicine On Line

[MOL] Stomach cancer

My mum was diagnosed with an adenocarcinoma of the stomach in
November of this year.  She is a widow of 62 with five children,
2 of which are mentally handicapped.  Since then she has had a total
gastrectomy and is still recovering although very slowly.

After the initial shock I am still trying to come to terms with
accepting what the consultant has told me.  The truth is I am quite
angry that in the event of a recurrence he has offered NO treatment.
He believes this type of cancer cannot be treated successfully with
chemo or radio.

I have yet to find out exactly what type and grade the cancer is.
It's only when you leave the hospital you realise the information
given is minimal.  All I know at this stage is that it is the most
aggressive type of cancer there is and there is some evidence of it
in local lymph nodes which have been taken out!

I am due to see the consultant tomorrow with my mum for a follow-up
appointment but am very concerned as she has been having bladder
problems (urgency to pass urine often) and I'm worried this could be
a sign of a metastases.

Has anyone any information/advice on aggressive adenocarcinomas of
the stomach.  I am determined I will not just stop at his advice!

thanks

Amanda

"Whoever fights monsters should       Amanda O'Hely,
 see to it that in the process he     Department Of Psychology,
 does not become a monster.  And      Hope Hospital,
 when you look long into the abyss    Eccles Old Road,
 the abyss also looks into you."      Salford M6 8HD.

 0 . 0   More Than Just A    0 . 0    Fax    061 787 5589
   o          Blonde           o      EMail  AOHELY@fs1.ho.man.ac.uk