Re: [MOL] weight loss [02427] Medicine On Line

Re: [MOL] weight loss

Lisa Whiting wrote:

> Hi, everybody.
>
> It's my turn!  My brother had that Radical Pneumonectomy on November 25th
> and has lost 35 lbs. since then.  In other ways, he is doing AWESOME!  I
> couldn't have imagined that less than a month later, he would be walking 1 -
> 2 miles/day and driving!  He does still have pain and is tired, also, but my
> biggest concern, at this point, is his lack of appetite.  I realize that the
> 10 days he was in the hospital and wasn't eating alot decreased the size of
> his stomach, but even now, alot of times smells and the sight of food makes
> him nauseous.  How much of that do you suppose is attributed to pain meds?
> He is a big man, anyway (about 6'2" and started out about 227 lbs), but now
> he really looks thin. His frame is so large.  I know that he still is not at
> a dangerous weight, but what really worries me is that Chemo starts in a
> week or so......and probably 3 or 4 cycles and then radiation.
>
> Any input?
>
> Lisa

Lisa -- I've just finished six months of chemotherapy for sclc and I
didn't lose a pound nor did I suffer from nausea thanks to the new
generation of anti-emetics.  Hope your brother has it easy, too, for his
treatment.  Good luck.

Claire