RE: thrombocythemia [00765] Medicine On Line

RE: thrombocythemia

Dear Skip and Diane,

Thrombocythemia is one of the myeloproliferative disorders.  Our group has an
ET FAQ which you can access on our web page at
http://www.acor.org/diseases/hematology/MPD.

While some people go through life with high platelets and do not experience
complications (my 90 year old father is one),  most of us run into trouble
with either bleeding or clotting problems if our platelet counts are
uncontrolled.

The agents most commonly used to control this condition (if there is a
diagnosis of MPD rather than a secondary cause)  are anagrelide,  hydrea and
interferon.   You should be seen by a hematologist for proper evaluation and
treatment.

There are reports that the active ingredient in grapeseed may reduce platelet
stickiness and hence reduce the likelihood of clot formation.  It does not
have an effect on number of platelets produced.

Joyce Niblack
XGYZ79A@msn.com
List Manager-MPD-NET Discussion group
Editor MPD VOICE newsletter