Re: thrombocythemia [00761] Medicine On Line

Re: thrombocythemia

Skipnet wrote:

> EAbrahms@aol.com wrote:
> >
> > is there any indication that injesting grapefruitseed extract can reruce the
> > production of platlets?

> Dear Abrahms,
>
> I too have high platelet levels and none of the doctors knows why
> (surprise). ...Maybe you could just let it go until some other symptom develops and could be addressed?  Good luck.  Diane

Request that you get a manual and visual platelet count on your next
CBC. Some in our mailing list have complained that their platelets
have unusual clumping and because of this, the automated counters do
not always offer an accurate count.

Some in our group have reported more difficulties with bleeding and
clotting problems with platelets around 600,000 or so then those with
polycythemia or essential thrombocythemia who's platelets are even in
excess of 1,000,000. In any event, various blood component tests can
and should be performed to 1) get a clear diagnosis and 2) to see if
one is at elevated risk for thrombosis (clots) or bleeding problems.

Please bear in mind that I am not a physician, nor am I even a health
professional. Always work with your hematologist and follow his or her
guidelines and direction.

MPD-SUPPORT-L  A myeloprolific disease medical mailing list focusing
on polycythemia vera, essential thrombocythemia, agnogenic myeloid
metaplasia, and myelofibrosis. Anyone - patient, family member, or
health professional, is welcome to join. Our web page is at
http://members.aol.com/mpdsupport To subscribe to MPD-SUPPORT-L, do
the following: Email to: LISTSERV@LISTSERV.AOL.COM Subject line: blank
or just a dash on AOL Body: SUBSCRIBE MPD-SUPPORT-L John Smith
(Substitute your first and last name for John Smith's)

Regards,

Robert Tollen