Re: spleenectomy [00757] Medicine On Line

Re: spleenectomy

On your question about what to expect after the loss of your spleen
my brother ruptured his spleen in a bicycled accident when he was
in the 4th grade.  We didn't realize at the time that he had mono
and that his spleen was enlarged.  Anyway that was almost 25 years
ago, and it basicly has not affected his life at all.  For probably
a year he had to slow down in sport and phys ed, but part of that
was recuperating from the surgery and the mono.  I have heard of
people have a depressed immune system after removal of the spleen
but that never appeared to be the case with him.  He is 34 years
old, married, has an extremely active life.