Carcinoid; octreotide-acetate (Sandostatin) [00719] Medicine On Line

Carcinoid; octreotide-acetate (Sandostatin)

Susan,

I am a five-year survivor of full-blown carcinoid syndrome -- over
twenty-five metastatic abdominal tumors (in the liver & spleen alone).
I've had three years of heavy-duty chemotherapy (Streptozocin & 5-FU and
four months of Cytoxin), four and a half years of daily Sandostatin.
The Sandostatin can counteract the symptoms of carcinoid syndrome; in my
case it has.  Incidentally, the doctors agree that I had had carcinoid
syndrom beginning about seven years before I was diagnosed.

I am the editor of the newsletter for the Greater Washington Coalition
for Cancer Survivorship (GWCCS) and am the patient-facilitator of Sibley
Memorial Hospital's cancer support group "One Day at a Time"and editor
of its newletter.

Larry Chinnery
I can be contacted at: Phone - 301-881-0936 or fax - 301-468-4946 or
e-mail - 102100.614@compuserv.com
         bchinnry@erols.com