Re: myelofibrosis [00696] Medicine On Line

Re: myelofibrosis

>Subject:              myelofibrosis       Date:
>Sat, 5 Oct 96 19:30:49 UT       From:              "Earl
>Lorenz" <Obidian@msn.com> Reply-To:              mol-
>cancer@linux.kbt.com        To:              mol-
>cancer@linux.kbt.com
>My mother-in-law also has this disease. The doctors don't know
>what to do as they have tried everything they say they know how
>to do. They tried Procrit, an experimental drug(?) but it
>didn't work. Her spleen is greatly enlarged because it is
>making red blood cells for her. Transfusions are not as
>frequent as you state in you letter. Probably, once per month
>at this point.
>The doctors are now trying steriods. If that doesn't work,
>they'll try male hormones because males product more red blood
>cells than females. That's what they say. Her white cell count
>recently sky-rocketed. Do you know what that means. Her heart
>also was at 240 beats per minute.
>She maintains a blood count between 10.2 and 7.6. Once she got
>to 6.9. Boy that was really stressfull. Finally, got her to get
>a transfusion.
>Earl.

****

Dear Earl,

This recent MEDLINE citation may be helpful!

Regards,

Robert Tollen

UI - 96328245
AU - Bourantas KL
AU - Tsiara S
AU - Christou L
AU - Repousis P
AU - Konstantinidou P
AU - Bai M
AU - Seferiadis K
TI - Combination therapy with recombinant human erythropoietin,
interferon-alpha-2b and granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor
in idiopathic myelofibrosis. AD - Department of Internal Medicine,
University Hospital, University of Ioannina Medical School, Greece. AB -
Seven patients, 3 men and 4 women 48-72 years of age and suffering from
idiopathic myelofibrosis were given a combination of recombinant human
erythropoietin (r-hu-Epo), interferon-alpha-2b (IFN) and GM-CSF, in an
attempt to treat their pancytopenia and marrow fibrosis. The dose of
r-hu-Epo was 200 U/kg 3 times weekly, that of IFN was 3 x 10(6)/U 3
times weekly, and that of GM-CSF was 250 micrograms/m2/daily. The
duration of therapy ranged from 3 to 6 months for r-hu-Epo and IFN and
was 3 weeks for GM-CSF. The treatment regimen had a beneficial effect on
all patients. The levels of hemoglobin increased in all patients but
particularly in 5 (2 of whom had been dependent on red blood cell
transfusions). Splenomegaly decreased significantly in 4 patients.
Fibrosis in the bone marrow decreased in 2 patients. Three patients also
had an increase in the number of white blood cells during the therapy
with GM-CSF. We observed mild side effects in 6 of our patients. One
patient had severe side effects from IFN and treatment was discontinued.
In conclusion, the combination of r-hu-Epo, IFN and GM-CSF may improve
the anemia (due to r-hu-Epo), increase the white blood cell count (due
to GM-CSF) and reduce the marrow fibrosis (probably due to IFN) in
patients with idiopathic myelofibrosis. MH - beta
2-Microglobulin/METABOLISM MH - Aged MH - Bone Marrow/PATHOLOGY
MH - Erythropoietin/*THERAPEUTIC USE
MH - Female
MH - Granulocyte-Macrophage Colony-Stimulating Factor/*THERAPEUTIC USE
MH - Hemoglobins/METABOLISM MH - Human MH - Interferon
Alfa-2b/*THERAPEUTIC USE MH - Leukocyte Count MH - Male
MH - Middle Age
MH - Myelofibrosis/BLOOD/PATHOLOGY/*THERAPY MH - Platelet Count MH -
Recombinant Proteins/THERAPEUTIC USE MH - Spleen/PATHOLOGY PT - JOURNAL
ARTICLE LA - Eng SO - Acta Haematol 1996;96(2):79-82

***

MPD-SUPPORT-L  A myeloprolific disease medical mailing list focusing on
polycythemia vera, essential thrombocythemia, agnogenic myeloid
metaplasia, and myelofibrosis. Anyone - patient, family member, or
health professional, is welcome to join. Our web page is at
http://members.aol.com/mpdsupport
To subscribe to MPD-SUPPORT-L, do the following:
Email to: LISTSERV@LISTSERV.AOL.COM
Subject line: blank or just a dash on AOL
Body: SUBSCRIBE MPD-SUPPORT-L John Smith
(Substitute your first and last name for John Smith's)

Robert Tollen
Co-list owner, MPD-SUPPORT-L
mensabrain@aol.com or mensabrain@smart.net
MPD-SUPPORT WEB PAGE: http://members.aol.com/mpdsupport

MPD-SUPPORT-L@LISTSERV.AOL.COM

A myeloprolific disease medical mailing list focusing on polycythemia
vera, essential thrombocythemia, agnogenic myeloid metaplasia, and
myelofibrosis.
Anyone - patient, family member, or health professional, is welcome to
join.

Our web page is at http://members.aol.com/mpdsupport

Our group started out about 2-3 years ago when just
two of us, myself included and using America on Line,
met after reading each other's inquiry posts in the
health section on AOL while looking for someone else
with polycythemia. Over the following months, we
added more and more people and grew into a group of
about 40 from around the world but mostly in the
United States, that would write to all by writing to
one and carbon copy the others. Because of size it
eventually became unmanageable, and we requested and
received help from AOL to start a myeloprolific
disease mailing list focusing on polycythemia vera,
essential thrombocythemia, and agnogenic myeloid
myelofibrosis. Our mailing list MPD-SUPPORT-L was
started around February, 1996. As a mailing list, many
more people know about us. Although our automated
software is on AOL, we now have about 200 subscribers from
12 countries all around the world and from all the major Internet
service providers.

To subscribe to MPD-SUPPORT-L, do the following:

Email to: LISTSERV@LISTSERV.AOL.COM
Subject line: Anything you want but not blank.
Body: SUBSCRIBE MPD-SUPPORT-L John Smith
(Substitute your first and last name for John Smith's)

Once subscribed, if you wish, send us a little
introduction explaining who you are, your
myeloprolific disease and your treatment history or
your professional interest, along with any questions
or comments you wish to post to our group.

Robert Tollen
List owner, MPD-SUPPORT-L