Re: URGENT-- Small Cell Lung & Emphasemia [00628] Medicine On Line

At 12:04 AM 9/14/96 -0400, you wrote:
>I reqested information earlier regarding post surgery pain.  Now things have
>worsened.
>My father-in-law has quit eating and drinking.  In the past three weeks he's
>dropped
>down to 126 lbs. from 165 lbs.
>
>He has absolutely no energy, no appetite.  His small cell lung cancer was
>removed
>March 1996, his entire right lung.  His remaining lung is "severly" damaged
>with
>emphasemia (sp).
>
>Hospice has been brought in.  Now discussions are questioning whether he may
> have
>a brain tumor.
>
>Any ideas?

I know how hard it is to watch someone you love fade before your very eyes.
The number one question of care is what does the patient want?  Us he
willing to get checked out for a brain metastisis, does he want to try to
eat or drink, or is he tired of fighting and just wants to go peacefully?
Is he on medication for pain and is it controlling his pain?  Hospic should
be able to keep him comfortable with dignity.  If he wants to fight he could
be getting some IV fluids, drink Ensure(a liquid food supplement that
contains all the fat, protein, and carbohydrates of regular food), get a MRI
scan of his brain and get radiation therapy to his metastisis if there is
one-it is all up to him.  Sometimes we want to do all we can for them but if
it is not what they want, it won't help.  Talk heart to heart with him amd
find out which direction he wants to go.  He still had options to extend his
life, or he can be kept comfortable until he leaves you.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Mary Ann Turner RNC OCN
Manager of Cancer Services
Mercy Memorial Health Center