Re: Pancreatic Cancer [00604] Medicine On Line

Re: Pancreatic Cancer

Hi Brian or anyone else familiar with pancreatic cancer:

I hope you and maybe others can tell me more about pancreatic cancer.  My father has
recently been diagnosed with this cancer, and I am trying to find out as much as I can.
The internet is a great resource and I have read a lot about pancreatic cancer and cancer
in general.  I would like to know more about the "whipple procedure".  The doctors don't
want to operate at this time, they just started treating him with chemo (gemcitabine),
mainly to control the cell growth around the peritoneum to which it has spread.  It has
not spread to any other organs.  Can I ask you how quickly they operated after your
diagnosis?  How big was your tumor? Do you have any experience with fluid retention in the
abdomen?  I really appreciate any advice you can give me.

To answer your question:  I am certainly no expert, but from what I have read, you should
follow your doctors recommendation.  They might be some hidden tumor cells that might act
up again if not killed through chemo or radiation.  I would not take that chance if I were
you.  They would probably give you a much lower dosage at this time.  Any alternative
choices might be good as a supplement.

Thanks!

Bettina