Re: Platelet apheresis for myeloproliferative disease [00513] Medicine On Line

Bernie Koziel wrote:

> Read your reply about treatments for essential thrombocythemia and thought
> I would ask about another form of treatment not mentioned- platelet
> pheresis. I have been diagnosed since '91 and have tried both hydrea and
> anagrelide. Both have resulted in, at least to me, unacceptable side
> effects. What information can you provide on pheresis as an alternative?
> Thanks in advance,
> Bernie

Dear Bernie,

My hematologist has told me that platelet apheresis has the potential
danger for septicemia (blood poisoning).

I welcome you to consider subscribing to our medical mailing list
MPD-SUPPORT-L.  A myeloprolific disease medical mailing list focusing
on polycythemia vera, essential thrombocythemia, agnogenic myeloid
metaplasia, and myelofibrosis. Anyone - patient, family member, or
health professional, is welcome to join.

Regards,

Robert
Co-list owner, MPD-SUPPORT-L
mensabrain@aol.com or mensabrain@smart.net