Re: Melatonin [00158] Medicine On Line

Re: Melatonin

At 12:43 PM 4/5/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Any one out there using this boost the  immune system?  I have recently
>read that some MD's (Andrew Weil for one) recommends it for cancer
>patients.  Dose??

Melatonin is considered a suppliment that is sold in health food stores and
in the health and vitamin section of pharmacies. There is no confirmed
accepted dose. Some cancer patients have used this preparation with varing
degrees of results for sleep. I have not heard or read that it will boost
the immune system.

There is another substance that has been talked about in relation to
boosting the immune system. That substance is DHEA. No specific information
or clinical trials that I have been made aware of.

I do not know of Dr. Weil, therefore cannot comment on his credentials.

Gook luck,

Arnie

* Arnold Smokler - Pharmacologist - Dr. Arnie                          *
* Chairman, Waldenstrom's Macroglobulinemia Support Group (WMSG)       *
* asmokler@erols.com                                                   *
* Phone:Voice - 703-321-8888   FAX - 703-321-8920   BBS - 703-321-8070 *
* Visit my home page at http://www.erols.com/asmokler/arnie.htm        *
* Visit the WMSG home page at http://www.erols.com/asmokler/wmsg.htm   *
* (Attend the WMSG Conference. Washington, D.C. April 20 & 21, 1996.   *
* Call or Email for more information. All interested parties are       *
* welcome to attend.)                                                  *