Re: whipple [00146] Medicine On Line

Re: whipple

>dear friends:
>I'd like to know a little about the success of the whipple operation
>for pancreatic cancer victims. My mother is considering this treatment.

The Whipple procedure is a very involved, multiorgan surgical procedure... I
believe it runs 7-9 hrs of surgery, presuming no complications. The Whipple is
used for early stage pancreatic cancer...when the cancer is very localized.

For later stage pancreatic cancer, there is a new drug in clinical
trials...gemcitabine (commerical name is Gemzar from Eli Lilly and Company) in
clinical trials (your mother's physician can probably get into the trial).

--
E. Loren Buhle, Jr., Ph.D          INTERNET: BUHLEL01@MCRCR6.MED.NYU.EDU
*** The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the views or