Re: Essential Thrombocythemia [00056] Medicine On Line

Re: Essential Thrombocythemia

I believe it is fair to identify the prognosis due to Essential
Thrombocythemia as having "a favorable long term diagnosis" (from
Southwestern Internal Medicine Conference: The Clinical Spectrum of
Thrombocytosis and Thrombocythemia bu Eugen P. Frenkel, MD)

I, too, was diagnosed with Essential Thrombocythemia approximately 6
months ago.  Due to my recurring symtoms, I have chosen a different
"experimental" drug -- alpha interferon.  My present dosage is 2.5
million units every day.  My initial counts were arond 2300, they are
presently around 800.  I am 41 years old and otherwise healthy.
I would be very interested in further communication with anyone having
this disease.  The bigest fear I have is the conversion of ET into AML
(acute myelogenous leukemia).

If your wife had to develop a cancer, ET is certainly better than
most.  Please send a direct email to me at
cwadams@ccgate.dp.beckman.com.