Sarcoma of the Extremity [00022] Medicine On Line

Sarcoma of the Extremity

I have a 56 year-old male with a 6-cm mass of the right anterior thigh.
It appears by MRI to origninate in the quadriceps but does appear to
involve not only the periosteum but the cortex also of the femur.  The
biopsy report thus far indicates mesenchymal tissue with uncertain
malignant potential.  Currently awaiting the reference lab report but
suspect it will be a sarcoma of some type.  My question is "is a
limb-sparing procedure appropriate in this individual?" Metastatic
workup is negative.  Thanks!
                               Scott